Sunday, April 20, 2008

Papal Visit...Mass Mass

I'm extremely intrigued by the Pope's visit to the US. I am not Catholic and don't full understand the traditions or the specifics of Catholicism. I can't recall any other times a Pope has visited the US. Maybe I was too young to care or was in Western PA or South-Central PA where it wasn't as big of deal as it seems to be here in NYC. How often does this happen???

What I'm doing right now (in case anyone is curious...or ever wanted to get a sense of just how off I really am) is watching mass mass on TV (apparently this is called Papal Mass). I'm amazed at 1...how many people are in attendance...2...how Yankee Stadium has been transformed into a temporary church. I wonder how many people (true catholics not weirdos like me) are watching this at home? And were tickets sold to attend Papal Mass? I have soo many questions. I feel like there should be a number I can call and get answers or at least a web address indicated during the telecast.

LOL...I was having a hard time following and then wondered why there weren't subtitles...then realized this isn't a foreign film nor was it intended for pure entertainment. Also realized that most other people watching this are probably already familiar with what is being said and don't need subtitles. Then I thought, what about followers that are hearing impaired? How the hell are they participating in this "monumental" event....

CLOSED CAPTIONING!!!!

Yes folks, I am using closed captioning as subtitles to watch Mass live from Yankee stadium...and I'm not Catholic....clearly I have issues and nothing better to do with my Sunday afternoon....sigh.....

And how about the irony of Papal Mass falling on 4/20...

Did you ever notice that News Anchors use any excuse to become temporary commentators...seriously...anytime there is anything going on that is outside of typical news...they somehow turn it into something similar to a Football Game. I don't think it's necessary for them to be offering play by play comments on Mass...I might feel differently if their comments were actually answering some of my questions but that's not the case. They might as well start drawing circles and lines...

The mass has ended...go in peace...

No comments: